Fifteen benefits of drinking water Fast facts on drinking water
HOW IMPORTANT IS WATER
Water is everywhere around us, for example, almost 70% of your body is made up of water and nearly 71% of the earth’s surface is covered by water. The universal nature of water might make drinking enough water not a priority for many people. However, forgetting to drink it is not the biggest cause of dehydration. Globally, 2.2 billion people do not even have access to clean and safe drinking water (close to their homes). One of the goals of this project is to make safe drinking water more accessible worldwide. Now, I hear you thinking “Why is keeping hydrated so important?”. Well to function properly, the human body needs water. Below some ins and outs about the health benefits of drinking enough water:
Adult humans are almost 70% water.
Water plays a key role in your body.
People around the world do not anonymously agree upon the quantity of water for daily consumption:
Some recommend around 2 L per day
Others recommended to drink as much as you feel is necessary
Drinking water instead of soda (or other sugary drinks) can aid in losing weight.
Water delivers oxygen throughout the human body
Human blood contains red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets (~45% of volume), and blood plasma (~55% of volume). The main component of blood, blood plasma, is more than 90% water. This blood transports oxygen throughout the body.
Water helps maintain blood pressure
Keeping well hydrated is one of the best ways to naturally reduce your blood pressure.
Water is crucial for the digestive system
Water is crucial for good health. It aids digestion by breaking down food, making it easier to absorb the nutrients. Water is essential for proper bowel function. It softens stool, which aids in the prevention of constipation.
Water forms saliva
Human saliva is 99% water and the other 1% is composed of organic and inorganic molecules. The normal daily saliva production ranges from 0.5 to 1.5 liters. Not only is saliva the first component in the digestion of food, but it also is involved in the maintenance of a good water balance, as a dry mouth signals the need for water intake. Saliva has many other functions, such as keeping the mouth clean (antibacterial), maintaining tooth integrity, and protecting and repairing soft tissue. Besides, water can prevent tooth decay (if consumed instead of sweetened drinks).
Water makes nutrients accessible
Nutrients are dissolved in water, to make them easily accessible throughout the whole body.
Water lubricates the joints
Cartilage, which can be found in the joints and the disks of the spine, contains approximately 75% water. Long-term dehydration may diminish the shock-absorbing ability of the joints, resulting in joint pain.
Water improves skin health and beauty
The human skin contains almost 65% water. Drinking water regularly has a positive effect on skin health, as it is important to keep the skin hydrated. If the outermost layer of your skin is not hydrated enough, the skin will lose elasticity and feel rough.
Water is necessary for your brain, spinal cord, and other sensitive tissues
The human brain, spinal cord, and nerve trunks contain around 73% water. Dehydration can affect the structure and function of the brain. Long-term dehydration can contribute to thinking and reasoning problems.
Water regulates body temperature
Human sweat contains approximately 99% water. As the body heats up, water that is stored in the middle layers of the skin comes to the skin’s surface (sweat). The sweat then evaporates to cool the body to prevent the body from overheating. Scientists propose that too little water in the body can lead to more heat storage during exercise, while having a lot of water in the body may reduce physical strain. It is advised to drink more water during exercise.
Water prevents kidney damage
The human kidneys contain almost 80% water. Water is essential for proper kidney function. Too little water can lead to kidney stones as well as other problems.
Water flushes body waste
The kidney excretes toxins through various mechanisms, of which the most important one is urine.
Water is crucial for the lungs
The human lungs are around 84% water. Dehydration may induce a sudden constriction of the muscles in the walls of the bronchioles. This can especially have a big impact on people with asthma.
Water boosts performance during exercise
Scientists have suggested that consuming more water might improve performance during exhausting activity, as dehydration mainly has a negative effect on performance.
Water can aid in losing weight
The exact role of water itself in losing weight is still under debate. However, drinking water instead of sweetened beverages definitely aids in losing weight since drinking sweetened beverages causes weight gain.